Hair fall Introduction
Hair loss often goes untreated as many times it is not considered as a disease, besides natural hair fall is also there. Now the question is when to consider that hair fall is abnormal.
A hair fall of about less than 50 strands per day is considered to be normal if it is not affecting the density of hair. This simply means even if the hair fall is within limits but the density of hair is reducing and it is showing as reduced quantity of hair on the scalp it calls for treatment.
Hair falling from roots leaving a bald spot (alopecia) definitely needs treatment. A hair fall of more than 50 strands per day is considered to be abnormal in an adult. A sudden increase in hair fall also needs to be evaluated and treated.
A sudden increase in hair loss may result from one of the many reasons such as emotional stress, pregnancy in women, male pattern baldness, female pattern baldness, anemia, hypothyroidism, vitamin B deficiency, autoimmune disorders, chemotherapy, etc.
Signs to be considered when it is required to see a Hair Loss Doctors:
- When there is a loss of clumps of hair from your scalp,
- excessive thinning of your hair,
- unexplained loss of hair from any part of the body
- patchy hair loss on the scalp, beard or eyebrows
- Treating hair loss by local applications is not sufficient, it demands internal treatment. Homeopathic treatment at My Similia clinic is best suited to all forms of Hair loss. It helps in reducing hair loss significantly without any side effects.
Understanding the Hair Growth Cycle
- Hair is made up of a protein known as keratin which is present in the hair follicles. The follicles have a function of producing new hair cells which push out the old dead cells.
- At all times 90% or more of the hair on the scalp is in growing phase. The pace of hair growth differs for every single hair on the scalp. Each and every hair follicle follows their own hair cycle which may be influenced by different factors such as age, race, nutrition, illness, etc.
- An interesting fact is It is just because each hair follicle goes through a different hair growth cycle, that we shed only a few numbers of hairs per day. If all the hairs on the head would go through the same hair growth cycle, all the hair would have fallen at once.
Between starting to grow and falling off, each strand of hair goes through three stages:
1) Anagen or the growing phase:
This is the phase where the hair grows at a rapid rate from the follicle. This phase lasts for around 2 to 6 years. It is a very important phase for hair growth as hair length depends on the duration of this phase.
2) Catagen or hair growth stopping phase:
This phase lasts for about 2 weeks and is termed as a regressive phase. During this phase, the hair stops growing and the follicles start contracting.
3) Telogen or Resting phase:
This is the last phase of the hair growth cycle, the hair remains as it is with no further changes. This phase may last for about 2 to 4 months.
After this period the hair follicle becomes active again developing new hair and forcing old follicle out. At any given time, 90% of hair is in the Anagen phase and 10% in the Telogen phase. A reversal of the ratio results in thinning of hair.
Causes of Hair Loss in Men and Women
Hair fall is usually multifactorial in origin which means that one or more factors at a time are responsible for hair loss. Hair loss Causes are listed below.
- Genetic or familial tendencies often lead to male/female patterned hair loss.
- Physical stress in the form of overwork illness, injuries, childbirth, emotional disorders, or surgery may lead to hair fall.
- Dietary deficiencies, having diet devoid of iron, protein, zinc, etc may lead to nutritional deficiencies in turn leading to hair loss.
- Scalp diseases such as scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, Lichen Planopilaris, fungal infections, etc. may lead to hair fall.
- Autoimmune diseases like underactive thyroid leading to hormonal changes may be one of the reasons for hair loss.
- Major systemic diseases like Liver disease or kidney failure is a definite cause of hair fall, more often coming as a side effect of treatment.
- Hair fall after a viral infection or typhoid fever is not uncommon.
- Emotional stress in the form of anxiety, depression, disappointment is one of the important factors contributing to hair loss.
- Certain medicines like antihypertensive beta blockers, drugs used in chemotherapy, birth control pills, etc. are known to have hair fall as a side effect.
- Excessive use of hair colors or styles.
- Smoking is one of the important cause for hair fall.
- In many cases cause could not be found out, it is termed under an unknown cause.
Homeopathic Treatment For Hair Loss & Hair Fall
Treating hair loss by local applications is not sufficient, it demands internal treatment. Homeopathic treatment at My Similia clinic is best suited to all forms of Hair loss. It helps in reducing hair loss significantly without any side effects.
All types of hair loss including alopecia areata can be controlled with homeopathic treatment. We do not give fake promises and are very clear in understanding our scope and limitations. Hence we can state that hair regrowth in cases of baldness cannot be achieved with the help of homeopathic medicines. Although, further spread of baldness can be controlled to some extent.
The treatment at my similia is centralized on the concept of an individual case study which consists of a separate individual treatment protocol for every patient. A detailed history is collected in regards to the causes, familial tendencies, the extent of hair fall, emotional disturbances, other background diseases which lead to hormonal imbalance, and various other factors which are important to decide about the individualized treatment.
An individualized treatment protocol is followed rather than just patented medicines for hair loss. This ensures taking in account all around causes of hair fall and finding significant control in hair loss. The rate of hair fall decreases significantly.
We offer treatment of scalp diseases like scalp psoriasis, dandruff, etc which may lead to hair loss.
Our Case Studies
I will personally recommend My Similia for all cases of hair fall.....
Mrs. R.R a 32 years old techie contacted us for her problem of hair fall. She was in a profession of developing websites and marketing. She found our website very informative and decided to contact us.Read More
She had this problem of hair fall since she came to Mumbai. Before marriage she was residing at Rajkot. She used to get a lot of hair fall, 100 to 150 strands per day since 6 months. It was causing thinning of hair. She did not had dandruff. She explained that hair used to fall in bunches while combing, after bath. Her thyroid levels and haemoglobin were in normal limits.
While evaluating her emotional side she stated that she was under emotional stress related to her job. Earlier it was easy to handle but once she shifted to Mumbai she was made the marketting head of her company which meant a lot of extra pressure. Coping with mumbai lifestyle and work pressure was becoming stressful for her.
Here lied the cause for her hair loss. Emotional strain can be one of the important factor for hair loss.
After studying her case details we prescribed her constitutional medicines for her and advised her to reduce her stress to some extent.
At 2 months follow up she noted that her hair fall had reduced by around 20% and she felt that dryness of hair also reduced. She was sent next batch of medicines.
At 4 months follow up her hair fall was 50% better and she said that the amount of hair fall has reduced to 50 to 70 strands per day. She was happy to note that she was able to handle stress better.
At 6 months follow up her hair fall problem was completely better, hair regrowth was also noticed and she happily said that I will personally recommend My Similia for all cases of hair fall. She agreed to give a video testimonial so that other patients should get advantage of our website. Her video testimonial is uploaded in the website.