The term tonsillitis refers to an inflammation of the pharyngeal tonsils (tonsils are the glands at the back of the throat, visible through the mouth). The inflammation may involve other areas of the back of the throat, including the adenoids and the lingual tonsils (tonsil tissue at the back of the tongue).
Tonsillitis can be divided into acute, recurrent, and chronic tonsillitis.
Viral or bacterial infections and immunologic factors lead to tonsillitis and its complications.
At My Similia homeopathy we deal in chronic and recurrent tonsillitis. Homeopathy offers excellent treatment for recurrent tonsillitis by reducing the recurrence rate, improving the immunity, treating other symptoms like loss of appetite, and avoiding the complications.
Tonsils Anatomy & Physiology
- Tonsils are a pair of glands (masses of tissues) situated at either side of the throat. In children, tonsils play an important role of blocking the infection at the level of the throat and not letting the infection affect the more important organs such as throat or lungs.
- Tonsils act as filters, trapping germs that could otherwise enter your airways and cause infection. Tonsils also produce antibodies to fight infections.
- Tonsils are the part of lymphatic system along with adenoids. The lymphatic system clears away infection and keeps body fluids in balance.
- As the person grows up the role of tonsils reduces as immunity builds up. Inflammation of tonsils is a sign of the first line of defense against infection by the body. Overwhelmed by bacteria or viruses, they swell and become inflamed, a condition known as tonsillitis.
Causes of Tonsillitis
- Tonsillitis may be caused more commonly due to viral infection and less commonly due to bacterial infection.
- Tonsillitis is a result of a weakened immunity which lets the organism affects it.
- Tonsillitis can be aggravated by the use of cold drinks, certain foods, ice creams, etc.
- In few cases, the genetic tendency is also seen to be present.
Symptoms of Tonsilitis
- Pain in the throat is the most common symptom referred as difficulty in eating, severe pain while swallowing, difficulty in opening the mouth, etc.
- Fever is present mostly in acute tonsillitis or seen in acute exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis.
- Difficulty in breathing is seen in few cases with enlarged tonsils. It may lead to snoring.
- Frequent tonsillitis may lead to generalized weakness, reduction in diet, headache, etc.
- On examination inflamed tonsils look as red congested with swelling.
Homeopathy Treatment for Tonsillitis (tonsil inflammation)
Homeopathic medicines are best suited in both acute as well as chronic tonsillitis. Acute tonsillitis usually subsides within a week of treatment. In few cases inflammation of tonsils is recurring and it is called as chronic tonsillitis.
Removal of tonsils is not recommended as it can be treated completely with homeopathic medicines. My similia homeopathy suggests treatment with homeopathy before jumping on the decision to remove tonsils.
Chronic or recurring tonsillitis is a direct result of weakened immunity. Homeopathy offers excellent treatment for recurrent tonsillitis by reducing the recurrence rate, improving the immunity, treating other symptoms like loss of appetite, and avoiding the complications.
Homeopathy works on the principle of strengthening the immune system to be able to fight with diseases. It also works on the principle of the minimum dose required hence it is completely safe and nontoxic.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Tonsillitis
1) Can recurrent Tonsillitis be cured without surgery?
Yes. In 70 to 80 percent of recurrent tonsillitis, surgery can be avoided. In non responding cases surgery can be thought of.
Our Case Studies
We could avoid surgery for my 10 years old child, thanks to My Similia....
Master Y.S a 10 years old boy's father contacted us for the treatment of recurrent tonsillitis. Master Y.S was getting frequent pain in throat along with fever and coryza on every weather change as well as after eating any cold food or drinks. Initially he was treated with antibiotics with good effect. Antibiotics were helping him to control his acute attack of tonsillitis and he would get better but recurrence was not controlled.Read More
His immunity was weak and slowly he lost desire to eat partly because of frequent fever and partly because of over use of antibiotics. This cycle affected his studies to great extent. He was feeling low in confidence and started feeling something is very wrong with him as his younger brother was able to eat normally while he required to avoid all his desired food.
In view of frequent attacks of tonsillitis and swelling over the tonsils, conventional doctors suggested to go for surgery called as tonsillectomy (removal of tonsils).
Child was from Delhi, his father took him to a homeopathic doctor and they started treatment. He got good results but the frequency od attacks remained as it is. Slowly they made their mind to go for the surgery.
While surfing on internet his father came in contact with us. He had a long discussion with us about his child condition and decided to start the treatment. His case details were filled by his father. He attached all the investigation reports along with the case details.
After studying the childs case history we sent medicines for him along with list of instructions to be followed.
In 2 months follow up the child was comparatively better, his pain and coryza was under control. He was relatively symptom free and did not require any antibiotics in 2 months.
In 4 months follow up his father gave follow up over the phone and was sounding very happy about the progress of his child. He was better by 70% and the recurrence rate was reduced by 80%. He did not require conventional pain killers nor antibiotics in last 2 months. He was coping better to new infections.
At 6 months follow up the tonsillitis was no more bothering him. He was tolerating the colds better. By the time confidence of the child was also restored. The child understood the importance of following dietary instructions and stopped comparing with his brother.