These color cells are called as melanocytes. Vitiligo can also affect the mucocutaneous junctions (where skin meets mucus membranes) such as the tissue inside the mouth and nose and the eyes.
Vitiligo can affect at any age, both sexes and people of different race or religion, equally. It may be said that it is more recognisable in people with dark skin.
White patches of different shapes and sizes on the skin are the main and only sign of vitiligo. These patches are more commonly seen in sun exposed parts of the body.
Understanding, managing and treating vitiligo is the hallmark of My similia clinic. Homeopathy treatment is best suited for vitiligo, though the line and scope of treatment varies upon the stage and extent of the disease. We have got best homeopathy doctors for vitiligo treatment.
Vitiligo Signs & Symptoms
Appearance of white patches of different shapes and sizes on the skin are the main and only sign of vitiligo. These patches are more commonly seen in sun exposed parts of the body.
The commonest affected areas are the hands, feet, arms, face, and lips.
Other common sites to be affected are the armpits, around the mouth, upper or lower eyelids, head of the nostrils, around the navel, genitals and around the rectum.
Vitiligo is non-contagious (does not spread from one person to other) disease. Vitiligo is not life threatening but it may be life altering.
Clinically speaking it is a harmless disease but it has social repercussions especially in the communities where skin color is given much importance.
1) Segmental or unilateral vitiligo
Appear on one part or segment of the body such as the face, leg or forearm.
It usually begins at an early age and spreads slowly.
Greater chances of recovery as compared to another type.
2) Nonsegmental, bilateral or generalized vitiligo
It is the commonest type affecting both sides of the body as both knees or both elbows.
Spread fast if not treated at early stages.
What causes Vitiligo (Loss of Skin Colour)?
Vitiligo is caused or affected by one or more factors at a time though the exact cause of the disease is not fully understood.
It is termed as an autoimmune disease where body mistakes one of its parts as foreign then attacks and kill them. In vitiligo the immune system mistakes melanocytes as foreign and destroy it.
There are varieties of causes which can trigger this autoimmunity—
- Emotional stress plays an important role in triggering autoimmunity.
- Genetic or family history of vitiligo or other autoimmune diseases like hypothyroid in the background makes a person prone for vitiligo.
- Hormonal changes during different stages of life mostly in women.
- Use of some medicines such as corticosteroids may trigger it.
- It may get triggered after an injury.
- Occupational factors may also be responsible for its emergence.
Vitiligo Symptoms, Treatment, and More
- Vitiligo is the loss of skin color in irregular patches. White patches are formed when melanin pigment (pigment which gives color to skin and hair) producing cells die or stop functioning or there is a retarded growth.
- It is a chronic autoimmune disease, easily diagnosed by a well trained professional.
- Vitiligo cases are increasing day by day – more than one million cases per year in India. It affects around 2% of world population at present.
- Loss of skin color can affect any part of the body, including the mouth, hair, and eyes. It is easily seen in people with darker skin.
- Different parts of the body can be affected at the same time. Some people develop few patches others get it more. It can affect at any age group from toddlers to old age patients.
- Vitiligo is non-contagious (does not spread from one person to other) disease.
- The only symptom is the loss of skin color otherwise, people feel healthy. In very few cases itching or irritation is noticed.
Homeopathy Treatment for Vitiligo
Treatment is aimed at making the skin look more even. The treatment plan is laid based on the number of white patches, area covered by patches, and the previous treatment the person has opted for before starting homeopathy.
There are different options available for the treatment of vitiligo including medical line of management, surgery and other treatments. Most of the treatment protocols aim at bringing back the lost color. Homeopathic medicines aims to do the same but more importantly it also helps to stop the spread of disease and to avoid recurrence.
Based on our vast experience in dealing in vitiligo cases we may give a short prognosis for different stages of vitiligo:
- A Recent affection of vitiligo is easy to heal.
- A single patch or few small spots have better response using homeopathic treatment.
- Large and old spots or patches are difficult to manage but are definitely controllable.
- Vitiligo affecting bilaterally (both sides of the body) with family history of autoimmune diseases is most difficult to treat, even incurable in some cases.
- Vitiligo affecting mucocutaneous junctions like fingertips, lips, genitals, etc are again formidable to remedy but chances of recovery are surely present.
- Our treatment for Vitiligo, more commonly called as leucoderma, is efficient. We have 10 years of experience in treating vitiligo.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Vitiligo
1) My doctor told me that vitiligo is an autoimmune disease. What is autoimmunity?
Autoimmunity is a condition where your immune system reacts (abnormally) against your body's own organs or tissues. This results into production of antibodies. Autoimmunity does not mean that there is any immune deficiency.
In vitiligo, once the autoimmunity is triggered the immune system identifies the person's own pigment cells(melanin) as foreign bodies. Immune system attacks these color producing pigments and destroys them. Other autoimmune disorders include thyroid disorders, alopecia areata, psoriasis, etc.
2) I have vitiligo. Will these patches spread over time? Will they get larger in size?
This is not true for all cases but in many cases vitiligo does progress slowly over time. Unfortunately there is no way to predict whether your vitiligo will progress or not.
Spread of vitiligo is a slow process except in few cases where vitiligo spreads very fast. Many patients report that there vitiligo is stable for years without any new patches developing.
Proper and timely administration of homeopathic medicines for vitiligo may be able to arrest new spots in their development.
3) I have vitiligo. Will it spread by touching?
Vitiligo is not contagious. It is a genetic disease. Relax and enjoy normal life.
4) Any food restrictions for vitiligo patients?
There is no scientific study which suggests any restrictions in diet for vitiligo. However with patients experience it may be said that it is better to avoid sour food as well as seafood.
5) How do I take care of my skin with vitiligo?
Skin of vitiligo patients becomes more sensitive to sunlight and skin products. Protect your skin from harsh sunlight. Avoid using beauty products and stick to non medicated skin products or natural ingredients.
Before After Case photos
Our Case Studies
Thanks to My Similia for curing my 10 years old son from vitiligo.
Hi I am Mrs Pandey and I consulted My similia doctors 10 months back. My son was having vitiligo patches on face and neck since a year. It was spreading and no treatment was working for him. Many thanks to one of my friend who suggested to consult My Similia.Read More
With lot of apprehension and a lot of questions a lady came with a 10 years old child for the treatment of vitiligo.
Before noting down the complaints we preffered to answer her queries. Once satisfied we began with the case. The boy was having multiple vitiligo spots on face, around eyes, at the base of the nose, neck, etc. The number of spots were gradually increasing.
In the family history we found out that her mother had hypothyroid and grandmother had diabetes mallitus.
After a detailed case study he was prescribed a constitutional medicine along with our reseaerch based medicines for 2 months.
At two months follow up he reported with reduced growyh of the patches and to our delight there were no new spots. Although there was no repigmentation but treatment was going in right direction. His medicines were continued with increased potency.
At four months follow up he happily reported to show that two og his small spots have been repigmented. Others were also regressing.
Wihin 8 months treatment 80% improvement was seen. He is advised to continue the treatment for another four months for complete recovery.